Friday, April 26, 2013

Apps for Elementary School Teachers and Students

There are so, so, so many apps out there.  Any the app industry is expected to be worth $25 billon this year. (source) Sometimes it can be really overwhelming to find and try new apps.  What's going to be worth my time to learn?  Seriously. Does anyone have an answer? Please tell me. Anyway, I digress, this week I am going to share four apps I think are worth a try.  The first two are for students, the second two are for teachers.


Futaba is super useful if you only have 1 ipad and want a way multiple students (up to four) can use the ipad with out fighting or waiting for a turn.  It is a game where students match a picture to text.  The best part is you can upload your own pictures for students to play with, directly supporting what you have taught.  Because all of my students are ESL learners this is great activity for a center or fast finishers.  The video below explains it better.  The only thing I don't like it that the app can get pricey when you are buying all the expansion packs.  





Motion Math Hungry Fish- I love that is app doesn't just teach math facts, it teaches the multiple combinations you can use to arrive at a number.  So much better for number sense!  It is also free!  The video below shows the game in action.





Educreations is a interactive whiteboard app.  Imagine carrying around your interactive whiteboard...the possibilities are huge! This app allows you (or your students!) to create, record and share interactive lesson from you mobile device or use it online. They also have a huge sharing website where you can upload or download lessons for free!

Here is a great article Smartboard-Make Way for Educreations.



Evernote.  It really is the bee's knees. Yes it takes some geting use to go paperless, but once you do, you will be so organized! No more lost notes!  Here is a great Prezi from Rebbecca Spink on Evernote for educators.





Nothing to do with apps, but came across this blog post from Freetech4teachers.com about Scholatsic's Character Scrapbook and I am thinking I am going to have to give this a try! Check it out!

3 comments:

  1. Great job Kelly. I enjoyed the Motion math Hungry Fish app the most. I like how it gives students different options for arriving at an answer. That is ideal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got me intrigued with Evernote! I use the notes app on my iPhone but sometimes lose info I need. May look to switching to this so I can pull it up from anywhere! Great for organizing my day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you always include a video with your posts. I further explains and allows you to "see" what you've read. I think I'm going to try the Evernote app, love anything regarding less paper and clutter.

    ReplyDelete